Coats of arms
The Iserlohn coat of arms dates back to a depictation on the gothic choir stalls in the Obersten (Upper) Town Church, namely to a wooden sculpture from the 18th century and is a combination of the town seal of 1313 and the town scribe`s seal from 1391. It was approved in the present form in 1913. The figure between the two towers depicts the Holy Pancratius who according to legend was beheaded 304 AD by Emperor Dickletian. The two towers symbolise the towns defense. The chequered bar shows the previous affiliation to Graftschaft Mark (the shire of Mark). The description reads: „The town of Iserlohn carries the coat of arms that presents in a yellow square, two red towers with blue rooves and three red and silver chequered cross bars, - between the towers the Holy Pancratius in a red cloak, bearing a sword in his right hand and looking upwards".
The three towers symbolise the noble houses of Hennen, Gerkendahl and Ohle. The description reads: „In red (2:1) with three crowned towers in silver (white)". The coat of arms was approved on 30.9.1966 but expired with the communal new re-organisation of 1975.
Both the plough shares refer to a rural character and the mountains (three) to the hilly topography of Kesbern. The „Wolfsangeln" are a reference to the previous affiliation of Kesbern to the town authority of Hemer – the „Wolfsangeln" were carried by the family Brabeck in their coat of arms. The description reads." The shield divided by black and silver, above next to each other, two silver plough shares, there below on the black, three mountains (1:2) , therein golden „Wolfsangeln". The coat of arms was approved on 6.5.1939, however it expired with the communal new re-organisation of 1975.
The coat of arms of Letmathe was originally carried by the family Letmathe who died out in the 15th century. In the present form it dates back to a seal from Johann of Letmathe, out of the year 1346. The description reads: „In silver with ermine imposed shield, a three rowed red and gold chequered cross beam, there over guards a red lion". The coat of arms was approved on 2.1.1935. The lion cannot easily be identified: it could date back to the old coat of arms of Graf Mark or it could refer to Letmathe´s affiliation to the Grafschaft of Limburg. The chequered cross beam refers to the fact that the Grafen of Mark were the feudal lords of the noble house of Letmathe. In the lower part of the shield, what perhaps, at first glance, resembles ermine or tadpoles can better be interpreted as leaves. The coat of arms expired with the communal new re-organisation.
A white cross beam and three white roses are component parts of the coat of arms of the family Sümmern, the „Faßeisen" derives from the coat of arms of the town authoity of Menden. The town coat of arms dates back to a court seal of the „Kurkölnischen" Court of Menden from the 18th century. The description reads." In red a golden cross beam – there above three (in column) silver roses, there under a silver „gesturztes Faßeisen". The coat of arms was appoved 15.4.1937. However, it expired with the communal new re-organisation.
Source: Iserlohn Lexikon 1987